Potty training can be exciting for parents (no more diapers!) but it can also be a trying time for many as they navigate through the process with a series of trials and errors.
We hope these tips will help you along your journey:
- First, every child is different. This is important to remember if you’re training your first or your third child. Not all personalities respond to the same positive reinforcements.
- Patience, patience and more patience. Whether you choose to set a timer as a reminder (every 10-15 minutes), or have your child go without a diaper, this process will require your full attention for the first few days. Be prepared to clear your calendar and focus on the task at hand.
- Let your child choose their new underwear so that they will be excited to wear it. As they show the signs of maturity and being able to comprehend using the toilet and getting rid of diapers, let them be a part of the entire process.
- Buy a book or two about using the potty, and read them to your child during the training process. Here are few top sellers: Once Upon a Potty, The Potty Train and The Potty Book.
- Create a reward system that works for your child. Stickers charts and one M&M per successful trip to the potty are two widely used methods of rewarding a child during training.
- Don’t be afraid to leave the house once your child gets the hang of the process. Pack an extra outfit and be confident that your child knows to tell you when they need to go.
- That being said, find out where the nearest restrooms are located on your first few outings so you can set up your child for success, whether it’s the grocery store, the mall or the local library. You can even bring a small potty along in the car for longer trips.
Remember, this training is a short period in your life however tedious it may seem at the time. Be patient, and be your child’s biggest cheerleader as he or she completes this big milestone toward self-sufficiency.
Oh Crap! Potty Training book: https://www.amazon.com/Oh-Crap-Potty-Training-Everything/dp/1501122983